Re: 2.6.9-rc4 No local APIC present or hardware disabled

From: mobil@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 04:59:48 EST

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:59:13 +0100 (BST)
"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, mobil@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > after upgrading to 2.6.9-rc4 I'm getting the following message in
> > dmesg:
> >
> > No local APIC present or hardware disabled
> >
> > 2.6.9-rc3 and older kernels did not show this message. They showed:
> > Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
> > Found and enabled local APIC!
>
> As you've already been told, the local APIC is not being enabled by
> default anymore. I think this change may be unfortunate for users, so
> I've proposed the change to be applied for systems using ACPI and then
> verbosely, so that the reason for the APIC being kept disabled is
> clear. Unfortunately I have no system available for testing that uses
> ACPI, so I'm asking whether you could participate in testing of the
> following patch. With the patch applied, you should either get a
> warning or the local APIC running (e.g. if you disable ACPI by
> specifying "noacpi"). Does the patch work for you? For anyone else?
>
> Maciej
>
> patch-2.6.9-rc4-lapic-5
>
> <snip patch>

Hi,

i tested your patch, but it did not apply correctly to a clean 2.6.9-rc4
tree for me. (patch -Np1 -i ../patch-2.6.9-rc4-lapic-5)

I applyed it manually, and when rebooting, i get the following:
Local APIC won't be reenabled, ...
You can...

When booting with 'pci=noacpi':
Local APIC won't be reenabled, ...
You can...

When booting with 'acpi=off':
no output when running dmesg|grep -i apic

Regards, Sebastian