Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [HID] Fix hiddev devfs oops

From: Adam Kropelin
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 19:53:23 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:23:43PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

Herbert, I'm sorry for the wait. Marcelo asked me to take care of
this, but I kept postponing it because I wanted to look closer, and
this and that... It looks entirely reasonable and my hid devices
continue to work, but I haven't tested hiddev (UPS or something ?).

Yes that's exactly the situation I'm in (APC UPS via USB) and it does
fix the OOPS for me when hid is unloaded with the UPS connected.

Another scenario to keep in mind is unplugging a USB device while a process still has its corresponding hiddev node open. I fixed that issue in 2.6 a while ago. I'm not sure if 2.4 is susceptible. It may or may not be orthogonal to the problem your patch addresses.

--Adam