Re: [BUG] oom killer not triggering in 2.6.9-rc3

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 17:31:51 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2004-10-12 at 06:03, Chris Friesen wrote:

I must be able to run an app that uses over 90% of system memory, and calls fork(). I was under the impression this made strict accounting unfeasable?

Its rather smarter than that, you'll want swap probably. The strict
accountant is a virtual address accountant not a memory accountant. It
knows shared r/o segments don't need charging all the time etc

As I said in the first message, I've got no swap.

In any case, moving to -rc4 seems to have cleared up the issue, the patch Chris Wright suggested seems to have worked. Oom killer now wakes up immediately and kills one of the memory hogs, and the system continues on.

Chris