Re: __init dependencies

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 23:12:15 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess it's about time for a tool to autodetect __init dependencies?

`make buildcheck' does this. Looks like nobody is using it.

I have asked that one of the forever-building machines here (OSDL)
do that.
I'll get back to that request....

John Cherry has been running 'make buildcheck' regularly,
but apparently nobody has been looking.

Latest (2.6.9-rc4) is here:
http://developer.osdl.org/cherry/compile/2.6/linux-2.6.9-rc4.results/2.6.9-rc4.reference_init26.bzImage.txt

My experience with output of buildcheck is that it's verbose and has
lots of false positives. (Yes, I have used it and generated patches
from it.) First thing I do is delete all lines that match
"data.*init" or "data.*exit". These are (usually -- famous word) OK.
Then someone can look at the entries that really need to be checked,
such as this list, derived from the larger list above:

http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/doc/2.6.9-rc4.reference_init26.bzImage.txt

I'll look over it in the next few days.

--
~Randy