Re: how do you call userspace syscalls (e.g. sys_rename) from inside kernel

From: Jon Masters
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 19:18:46 EST

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:04:42 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> could someone kindly advise me on the location of some example code in
> the kernel which calls one of the userspace system calls from inside the
> kernel?

Hi Luke,

I enjoyed your recent talk at OxLUG in which you mentioned this
briefly. Could you please send me the source that you are working on
so that I can take a look and make suggestions if tha'ts useful - I
posted to the OxLUG list but you're not actually on it and although I
now have your address from someone, this post reminded me.

I've copied lkml for two reasons - a). Someone else might want to take
a look. b). I sat and talked with Luke for a while about this, he's
not a typical "I want to do stuff in the kernel I should be doing from
userspace" kind of person in my opinion (there might still be a better
way but until I see more what he's actually doing then I can't work
out what).

Jon.