Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc4 - pls test (and no more patches)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 18:38:43 EST

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, James Bottomley wrote:

> Yes, well, that's one of the things that worries me slightly ... no-one
> has reported the data corruption that the patch claims to fix. That's
> one of the reasons I was planning to take it through the normal cycle.

Well, as far as I can tell from the patch, the only way to get data
corruption from the bug is when you use the SCSI ioctl's at the same time
as the disk is busy.

In other words, I think you'd have to do some special disk management, or
possibly try to burn a CD on a SCSI CD-ROM (or other special device that
uses the SCSI ioctl's) on the same controller. And nobody uses SCSI
CD-burners any more, I'd think.

Linus