Re: Totally broken PCI PM calls

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 17:32:56 EST

> A "hang" sounds like the pmcore bug I reported about a year ago...
>
> It's rather foolish of the PM core to use the same semaphore to
> protect system-wide suspend/resume operations that it uses to
> for mutual exclusion on the device add/remove (which suspend
> and resume callbacks did happily in 2.4) ... since it's routine to
> unplug peripherals on suspended systems!

Definitely. One thing is: how to do it instead ? I've been thinking
about it for a while and am still wondering... do we want a list
mecanism with add/remove notifiers so the PM walk can keep in sync
with devices added/removed ? or should addition/removal be simply
postponed until the end of the sleep/wakeup process (I tend to vote
for that).

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>