Re: udev: what's up with old /dev ?

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 07:09:58 EST

On Oct 11, 2004, at 13:11, Hacksaw wrote:

FC3t2 boots from an "initrd" image that, among other things, mounts a
tmpfs over "/dev" and creates "console", "null", "pts" and then
proceeds to load "init".

Is that considered good? I like RedHat, but they are well known for doing
things of dubious taste.

But I just dislike the whole "stopped dead because of the state of the disk"
thing. I mean, sure, if there large amounts of stuff just missing, it might be
hard to get anything done, but it sure would be nice if the kernel would try
really hard to get to a shell so I can figure out what the problem is.

If the initrd gets corrupted, are we just hosed?

In some way, the answer is yes... I think the best is having a real, on-disk, full "/dev" hierarchy in case the INITRD gets lost or corrupted, which will still allow booting. Now, the INITRD can mount tmpfs over "/dev" and use udev to create needed device nodes.