MMC performance

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 06:07:22 EST

I've added SGIO support to my driver now hoping that it would resolve the piss-poor performance I've been getting. Didn't do much difference though.

Read operations are fairly fast. It queues 8kB at a time. A bit small perhaps, but still decent.

Writing, however, only sends a single sector at a time. The queue process eats up half of the CPU time on my machine during a write. And since MMC cards have to clear a whole bunch of sectors before a write shouldn't you send as many sectors as possible to them?

Since I don't have another controller to compare with I don't really know if the problem is in my code, the MMC layer, the block layer or the filesystem.

I'm going to dig around a bit more but some pointers are welcome. At least which layer I should be looking at.

Rgds
Pierre