Re: Totally broken PCI PM calls

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 23:11:12 EST

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Disagreed. Sorry, but can you give me a good example ? The drivers still
> do the broken assumptions of passing directly the state parameter to
> pci_set_power_state() (or whatever we call this one these days) but this
> is worked around by defining PM_SUSPEND_MEM to 3 in pm.h.

.. take a look at PM_SUSPEND_DISK for a moment.

If you only care about PM_SUSPEND_MEM, then what's your problem? You get
the right value already.

And if you _do_ care about PM_SUSPEND_DISK, then don't ignore it in the
discussion. You can't have it both ways.

The fact is, my laptop can now (finally) do suspend-to-disk. It never
could do that before. And yes, it does use radeonfb, so your arguments
hold no water with me.

I told you what can done to fix things up. Stop ignoring that reality.

Linus