Re: udev: what's up with old /dev ?

From: J.A. Magallon
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 18:27:03 EST

On 2004.10.11, Hacksaw wrote:
>The very first thing init does is open /dev/console, and if it doesn't
>exist the entire boot hangs.

This raises a question: Would it be a useful thing to make a modified init that could run udev before it does anything else?

I don't think it is needed. There is no problem (i am thinking on rootles
nodes and PXE and so on...) on building a simple initrd with /dev/console,
/dev/null and half a dozen standard devices if they are needed. Just
to get udev run and have your real devices mounted there and overwrite
them.

I just remember one other oddity. To clean up my system, I copied the
running /dev to /dev-new, moved /dev to /dev-old and /dev-new to /dev.
But on 'reboot', I got a complaint about /dev/initctl not opening.
This could happen also with init. It opens real /dev/initctl on boot,
mounts /dev and tries to use new /dev/inittclt on shutdown...

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free