Re: [BUG][2.6.8.1] Something wrong with ISAPnP and serial driver

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 16:59:49 EST

Denis Zaitsev wrote:

Ok, it isn't listed (USR0009). I'll send a patch. BTW, there is some
other ID - /sys/devices/pnp1/01:01/card_id - and it contains USR0101.
What's this?

The PnP card ID, with the USR0009 the PnP device ID; PnP cards can (and often do) have more than one device. For me, they are both the same:

$ cat /sys/devices/pnp1/01\:02/{card_,01\:02.00/}id
ETT0002
ETT0002

I do believe you need the device ID in 8250_pnp, but try the card ID when it doesn't work, I guess.

8250 itself finding it was no doubt due to you enabling the port yourself so that from its standpoint, it was just another serial port already present.

But why doesn't it find the two standard mb-embedded ports? And why
they are found by 8250_pnp? Is it a normal behaviour?

That they are found by 8250_pnp seems okay; onboard ports are normally PnP BIOS devices -- the devices in /sys/devices/pnp0. However, normally the BIOS will have enabled those ports itself meaning 8250 would pick them up already, so no, that's not standard.

Thanks. But what about the incorrect info in /proc/tty/driver/serial?

Skipping that one. Maybe that will fix itself once you have the PnP ID listed.

Rene.

PS: CCing you, but gw.anda.ru seems to have decided I'm a spammer.