Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 2.6 Real Time Kernel

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 15:55:03 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
In theory, I think yes, if all IRQs on the system run in threads except
the saw interrupt, and the RT task that controls the saw runs at a
higher priority than all the IRQ threads. You can guarantee that other
interrupts won't delay the saw, because the saw irq is the only thing on
the system that runs in interrupt context. With the current VP
implementation you are still bounded by the longest non-preemptible code
path in the kernel AKA the longest time that a spinlock is held. Replacing most spinlocks with mutexes reduces this to less than 20 code
paths according to Mvista, which then can be individually audited for
RT-safeness.

That being said, no way would I put my hand under the saw with the
current implementation. But, unless I am missing something, it seems
like this kind of determinism is possible with the Mvista design.

It may be a question of taste, but even if that did work, which I am
not convinced of, it seems to me that it's awfully convoluted.
With the current interrupt pipeline mechanism part of Adeos, on
which RTAI and RTAI fusion are built, I can give you absolute hard-rt
deterministic guarantees while keeping the spinlocks intact, and not
having to check for the rt-safeness of any part of the kernel. You
just write the time-sensitive saw driver int handler in front of
Linux in the ipipe and you're done: 100% deterministic hard-rt,
regardless of the application load and the driver set.

I will check that out, I have not looked at RTAI in over a year.

Here are some interesting links:

RTAI/fusion presentation by Philipppe Gerum last July (see slide 25
for some interesting numbers):
http://www.enseirb.fr/~kadionik/rmll2004/presentation/philippe_gerum.pdf
Here's a thread that explains the details about RTAI/fusion:
https://mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai/2004-June/thread.html#7909
Here's the ipipe core API:
http://home.gna.org/adeos/doc/api/interface_8h.html

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits