Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 2.6 Real Time Kernel

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 12:34:38 EST

Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:
- Voluntary Preemption by Ingo Molnar
- IRQ thread patches by Scott Wood and Ingo Molnar
- BKL mutex patch by Ingo Molnar (with MV extensions)
- PMutex from Germany's Universitaet der Bundeswehr, Munich
- MontaVista mutex abstraction layer replacing spinlocks with mutexes

To the best of my understanding, this still doesn't provide deterministic
hard-real-time performance in Linux.

There are several micro-kernel solutions available, which achieve
the required performance, but there are two general concerns with
such solutions:

1. Two separate kernel environments, creating more overall
system complexity and application design complexity.
2. Legal controversy.

It's been quite a while since any of this has been true.

In line with the above mentioned previous Kernel enhancements,
our work is designed to be transparent to existing applications
and drivers.

I guess you haven't taken a look at the work on RTAI/fusion lately.
Applications use the same Linux API, and get deterministic
hard-real-time response times. It's really much less complicated
to use than the above-suggested aggregate.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits