Re: Inconsistancies in /proc (status vs statm) leading to wrong documentation(proc.txt)

From: Eric Valette
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 11:51:09 EST

Albert Cahalan wrote:

Well the Documentation is said to matches 2.6.8-rc3 and is only 5 weeks old according to bitkeeper changesets... So at least the doc should be fixed.

Removal would be simpler.

I beg to disagree. statm catche eyes when you want to know precisely your memory usage or do you consider to be the single statm user via procps?

Second of all, because you get more information this
way. You can subtract to determine the address space
used for IO alone.

Sure but displaying it via status information would be much more simple furthermore I think it is incorrectly computed.

I could go for another number: available address space.
Then I could display percent used.

The free command does provide the information I think so it must be somewhere else...

Even the other files are only partly for humans.
Minor changes will cause many tools to break.

Sure but many people in the embedded wolrd need to know precisley process memory usage and possibly inside the program itsel not via top/ps/free/...

And if tools display wrong information for ages, then it can still be fixed...

--
__
/ ` Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette@xxxxxxx