Re: [openib-general] InfiniBand incompatible with the Linux kernel?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 23:25:52 EST

Roland Dreier wrote:
Jeff> Read the member agreement :) It -explicitly- does -not-
Jeff> require waiving of patent claims related to any
Jeff> implementation of IB.

Jeff> That's different from ATA, SCSI, USB, the list goes on...

Fair enough, but read the Bluetooth SIG patent agreement [1]. As far
as I can tell, all it requires is that other SIG members receive a
patent license. Do we need to do rm -rf net/bluetooth? IEEE only
requires that patents be licensed under RAND terms (it does not even
require royalty free licensing) [2]. Time for rm -rf drivers/ieee1394?

As my mother would ask, would you jump off a cliff just because your friend did?

If there is questionable code, that is _not_ a justification to add more.

Jeff