Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone

From: Bruce Ferrell
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 08:50:22 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 08 October 2004 03:15, Jon Masters wrote:

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[ Would you please quite removing the attribution from mailing list
posts? I know you don't care to keep it in the kernel, but at least
let people know who said what in this completely pointless
thread... ]

Jesper>>| There are other rewards than money.

jcm>> Al summed it up quite well earlier. Jeff probably wants to get
the jcm>> lining on his tinfoil hat thickened to avoid the brain
lazers getting in
jcm>> any further. Check those bushes for Novell snipers too - you
never know
jcm>> when they'll pop out and come to get you, like everyone else
everywhere.

*Strong medication*. Very strong. Now with added eucalyptus! It'll
make removing all that code easier. Ya know, you don't like cdrom
support in your kernel (and claim it corrupts memory on your SuSE
box...that's cute) but I've never much like memory management or
CPU support in my kernel. I say you rip out everything under
kernel/ and mm/ just in case. After all, Novell operatives might
have secretly corrupted it, eh? ;-).

|>50,000USD is a patheticly small amount to pay for the kernel,
|> there's nothing wrong with the current licensing model, and
|> people already make big bucks from Linux. Several of those aren't
|> just dot-coms that went tits up later either - and most of them
|> emply core kernel hackers.

I meant that too. Just think about it - with the number of
contributors in the kernel you'll have to offer a lot of money
before even a few of them start to hear cash register sounds in
their head. I expect it is graphable, but I've never actually that
eye-rolling-dollar-sign thing that happens in the various cartoons.
By the time it's diluted down, is the guy entitled to 0.05 cents
really going to be suddenly convinced that all this time he was
secretly after money but didn't realize it?

| Not for a license to a single snapshot of a single 2.6.X or 2.4.X
| version.

I'd argue that the kernel is entirely priceless. It's better than
that, more advanced, now extra-caffeinated with added pro-V
complex!

| I agree this isn't about money.

...oh but you think this pointless endeavour of yours will actually
get you somewhere other than in even more killfiles. I really
shouldn't feed the troll but it's oh so hard to resist. I mean, you
seem like a fun crazy sort of guy. So far I've seen:

~ *). Intense bitterness at Novell.
~ *). Signs of paranoid delusion.
~ *). A fundamental missunderstanding of the GPL.
~ *). Various other random craziness.

Tell me, Mr Jeff, of various mail domains (does that make you feel
bigger and better than the rest of us?) are you funded by Microsoft
to suggest this stuff or do you truly believe it? Really? Truly? I
mean, I'd much rather hear you're being paid to say this shite.

| It's about control and using the GPL to control what happens.

...by undermininging it and opening the floor to bribary. What would
those damn Novell snipers say about that?

| The offer is for real.

I doubt that greatly. Actually no, I don't. I believe there are
crazy people in the US with lots of money who'll think this is a
good idea.

Jon.

Yeah there are Jon, and his initials are probably BG. I've been following this thread, first in amazement, followed by disbelief, since it started yesterday, and the only thing my 6th sense is telling me is that this is an attempt to undermine the GPL by someone like M$ so that they can take it to court and successfully render it moot.

At one point he's talking about $50,000 for a snapshot, then next he's saying $50,000 per copyright holder, and how that would end up being millions. A new story with almost every message, and coming from several addresses, at one point from drdos.com, so I went over to see if he was actually listed there but couldn't find a reference. Ditto for the *panogas address. And I haven't looked at comcast as that is an ISP with several million addresses IIRC.

This old (70, and more user than coder now) fart associate member of the FSF is more and more convinced he's a troll, out only to contaminate the GPL and a few million to do that is just chicken feed to his backers. And make no mistake, the sucessfull contamination of the GPL could be worth many billions of dollars to M$ et all. Thats the most obvious 'SWAG' candidate as the real source of all this largess.

My $0.02: Deal with the likes of him at the peril of the GPL.

Here's another question that needs answered too, why the hell isn't Linus in the To: or Cc: list? (He is now!) After all, his approval would be the first thing you would need, isn't it Jeff? Again, one more clue that this looks like the fox, trying to sneak in under the henhouse radar.

A bit of a historical note is in order. Jeff used to work for Novell... And had more than a small dispute with them over some linux code he did that allowed linux to, as I recall, do things with netware 4.x. Novell took exception as at the time the only other code that did it was closed source distributed through Caldera.