Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm2

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 06:32:49 EST

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 12:49:38AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It was wait_on_bit-must-loop.patch.
> But that simply fixes a bug which was introduced into an earlier
> 2.6.9-rcX-mmY kernel. The bug is certainly not present in any Linus
> kernel, nor in any 2.6.6/7/8 kernel.
> So you're seeing something different. Please send a full report.

Well, for the record, it's that otherwise one would have to honor the
invariant of no spurious wakeups, which e.g. jbd does not. There
actually was API forethought put into timeouts, but jbd uses a timer
and wake_up_process() instead of schedule_timeout(), and is nontrivial
to convert. It was also anticipated that e.g. other users may trip up.

-- wli