Re: kswapd in tight loop 2.6.9-rc3-bk-recent

From: Chris Wright
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 21:01:32 EST

* Dave Jones (davej@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I saw the same thing yesterday, also on an amd64 box though that
> could be coincidence. The kswapd1 process was pegging the cpu at 99%
> kswapd0 was idle.

Same here.

> After a few minutes, the box became so unresponsive
> I had to reboot it.

Well, that CPU is useless ;-) Otherwise the thing is still responding.
One thing I noticed is the swap usage:

# grep Swap proc/meminfo
SwapCached: 4 kB
SwapTotal: 2031608 kB
SwapFree: 2031604 kB

So, I'm guessing the first page that went out to swap started this thing
off.

> I had put this down to me fiddling with some patches, and it hasnt'
> reappeared today yet, but it sounds like we're seeing the same thing.

I do have some local changes too. But nothing that should trigger this.

> Sadly, I didn't get a profile of what was happening.
> A 'make allmodconfig' triggered it for me, on a box with 2GB of ram,
> and 2GB of swap. No swap was in use when things 'went wierd', and
> there was a bunch of RAM sitting free too (about half a gig if memory
> serves correctly)

Memory's a bit tighter here, but still 55M free though.

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 2053240 kB
MemFree: 55324 kB
Buffers: 161900 kB