Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Mark Mielke
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 18:11:58 EST

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:47:22PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:42:42 -0400
> Mark Mielke <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sure, it's nice to demand that people
> > upgrade to a later version of Perl. Guess what? It isn't happening. It
> > will be another year or two before we can guarantee people have Perl
> > 5.006 on their system.
> If those people are tepid about upgrading perl, I think it would
> be even less likely that they would upgrade their kernels.

Good practical point for the here and now. :-)

The discussion, though, is more about what it should have been.
The combined frustrations of many of us.

To colour the discussion a bit, many of us have had these same
frustrations with Sun, and HP on various issues.

Just say "it's a bug, but one we have chosen not to fix for practical
reasons." That would have kept me out of this discussion. Saying the
behaviour is correct and that POSIX is wrong - that raises hairs -
both the question kind, and the concern kind.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@xxxxxxxxx/markm@xxxxxx/markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/