Re: [Patch] new serial flow control

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 17:56:34 EST

Le jeu 07 oct 2004 à 21:27:22 +0100, Russell King a écrit:
> I can't help but wonder whether moving some of the usual modem line
> status change processing should also be moved into the higher levels.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think it's not a good idea:
that would require *every* line discipline to implement hardware flow
control (just like xon/xoff), while I think they shouldn't really care
about it.

The asynchronous ppp ldisc for instance can be used on a serial line,
but can very well be used on a ssh tunnel (in which case rts/cts flow
control has no meaning).

I can understand that xon/xoff processing be implemented in ldiscs
since it is characters stuff, but one can't ask the ldisc to know
details about hardware flow control which depends on the tty it is
used on.

Regards,
Samuel Thibault