Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Adrian Phillips
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 12:06:52 EST

>>>>> "Andries" == Andries Brouwer <aebr@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Andries> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:18:23PM -0600, Chris Friesen
Andries> wrote:
>> In any case, the current behaviour is not compliant with the
>> POSIX text that Andries posted. Perhaps this should be
>> documented somewhere?

Andries> For the time being I wrote (in select.2)

Andries> BUGS It has been reported (Linux 2.6) that select may
Andries> report a socket file descriptor as "ready for reading",
Andries> while nev- ertheless a subsequent read blocks. This
Andries> could perhaps happen when data has arrived but upon
Andries> examination has wrong checksum and is discarded. Thus it
Andries> may be safer to use non-blocking I/O.

On my Debian stable and testing boxes the following text is in man 2
select (obtained from ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages)
:-

Three independent sets of descriptors are watched. Those listed in readfds will be watched to
see if characters become available for reading (more precisely, to see if a read will not
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
block - in particular, a file descriptor is also ready on end-of-file), those in writefds will
^^^^^

(and seems to be the same in the latest tarball) which means that
there is a good possibility that a number of people, myself including,
rely on read not blocking on a fd after select indicates that
"characters have become available". This section should be altered in
some way as well (perhaps referencing the BUGS section).

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/