Re: about Linux Module Profiling Tool

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 11:13:16 EST

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:23:43 -0700 (PDT) anil dahiya wrote:

| anil kumar :
| > If anyone have idea about linux module profiling
| > tools>> >
|
| Neil :
| > What kind of profiling do you want to do?
|

| Anil Kumar :
|
| after booting system, I am loading my network device
| driver module in linux kernel .
|
| I wanna to know how much time is taking by functions
| of my module at any time (i.e just after loading
| module or just after sending or receiving data etc).
| So I can improve performance of my module by
| improving those function which taking maximum time or
| cpu utilization.

Check out oprofile:
in kernel tree, Documentation/basic_profiling.txt (2.6.x)

Basic in-kernel profiling (older version, before oprofile)
does not work with loadable modules, just with in-kernel code.
You could use this if you build your driver in-kernel.

There are also some performance-counter patches, but
I don't know how to use them [if your h/w supports them].

--
~Randy
MOTD: Always include version info.