Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Paul Jakma
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:38:04 EST

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Martijn Sipkema wrote:

Any sane application would be written for the POSIX API as described in the standard, and a sane kernel should IMHO implement that standard whenever possible.

NB: I dont disagree with you.

Just the impression I get is that there is no way to avoid this situation without a serious performance impact, and that the optimisation shouldnt really any affect any healthy app. (any which are really should be setting O_NONBLOCK).

If you could follow the spec without significantly harming performance, then I'd agree spec should be followed.

I dont really have anything useful to say other than that, IMHO, a sane app should be using O_NONBLOCK if it really does not want to block, so I shall now quietly back away from this thread.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@xxxxxxxx paul@xxxxxxxxx Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: