Driver core change request

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 23:55:44 EST

Hi,

I am reworking my sysfs serio patches (trying to get dynamic psmouse
protocol switching) and I am wondering if we could export device_attach
function. Serio system allows user to request device rescan - force current
driver to let go off the device and find another suitable driver. Also user
can manually request device to be disconnected/connected to a driver. By
having device_attach exported I could get rid of some duplicated code.

Also serio allows user to request a specific driver to be bound to a device
in case there are several options (psmouse/serio_raw for example). To do
that and not poke in the driver core guts too much I need something like the
following:

int driver_probe_device(struct device_driver *dev, struct device *dev)
{
int error;

dev->driver = drv;
if (drv->probe) {
if ((error = drv->probe(dev))) {
dev->driver = NULL;
return error;
}
}
device_bind_driver(dev);
return 0;
}

static int bus_match(struct device * dev, struct device_driver * drv)
{
if (dev->bus->match(dev, drv))
return driver_probe_device(drv, dev);

return -ENODEV;
}

I.e driver_probe_device is exported. Does it have a chance to be accepted?

Thanks!

--
Dmitry