Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 10:46:54 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, David S. Miller wrote:

There is no such guarentee.
Huh? Then why would anybody use select()?

To tell you when to try a nonblocking read?

> It can't return a
'guess" or it's broken. When select() or poll() claims that
there are data available, there damn well better be data available
or software becomes a crap-game.

In the single-threaded case, where you are the only one touching the socket, I would expect this to be true. But since I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, I usually use nonblocking reads anyway.

Chris