Re: new dev model (was Re: Default cache_hot_time value back to 10ms)

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 09:02:08 EST

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:44:37AM +0200, bert hubert wrote:

> Mainline is suffering too - lots of people I know running 2.6 on production
> systems have noted a marked increase in problems, crashes, odd things.
>
> I'd bet you get a lot of people who'd vote for a timeout right now to figure
> out what's going wrong.
>
> There is the distinct impression that we are going down hill in this series.
> My personal feeling is that this trend started almost immediately after OLS.

Well, suppose we eliminate 5% of all bugs each week.
Then after a year only 7% of the original bugs are left.

In a stable series that is a fairly good result.
In a series that is simultaneously "stable" and "development"
new random bugs are being introduced continually.
One never reaches the state with only few bugs.