Re: Converting kernel modules from 2.4 to 2.6/Suggested new driver

From: Kenny Bentley
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 23:05:47 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

| Does anyone know if there is a detailed guide on how to convert kernel | modules for 2.4 kernels to modules for 2.6 kernels? I know very little

http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/

I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet, but I think that should definitely cover it. Thanks a lot.

OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.

That's one reason they made it open-source. They're hoping someone can write an ALSA driver for it.

You can recommend them for inclusion, but the developer or maintainer
of them needs to either submit them or at least approve their
submission for inclusion.

I'm not suggesting adding the drivers as they are now in the kernel. I'm recommending taking those drivers, revising them to fix whatever problems they had (including writing an ALSA driver for the sound card driver), and releasing the revised modules. Or would even that still need the original developer's approval?

How about posting their web locations (wherever you found them)
in case someone is interested..?

I think it was Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com). The links in a HOWTO file on Conexant modems redirect to that. I got them somewhere for free, whereas Linuxant charges for a full version, but either I can't remember where I got them from or the links I got them at redirect to Linuxant. And the documentation in the file doesn't list a Web site, but it does mention a copyright by Conexant, but I'm unsure whether that's for the driver itself or for the device. Same deal with the Riptide sound card driver. That was from Linuxant, but they're not posting that on their Web site any more, so I'm glad I got it when I did. The file name for the HSF modem driver is "hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02.tar.bz2" and the one for the Riptide sound card is "riptide-0.6lnxtbeta03122800.tar.bz2". You might try doing a Web search for those files. Actually, I don't remember whether they were originally compressed in .bz2 format or if they were compressed in .gz format and I recompressed them in .bz2 format (as I did for a lot of stuff), so make sure you try both extensions.