Re: Converting kernel modules from 2.4 to 2.6/Suggested new driver

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 20:31:47 EST

http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/

| Or since I've never done any kernel programming, I have a better idea.
| I want to recommend the drivers for inclusion into the official kernel
| tree. The drivers were released open-source by Linuxant or the
| manufacturer, I don't remember which one for sure. But they're not
| being developed any further, and the Riptide sound card driver only
| supports OSS, and doesn't support ALSA. Also, there are things in the

OSS is deprecated. It needs an ALSA driver.

| drivers that need fixing that surely a lot of you can do much better
| than me. I can help test the revised modules and I know how to put them
| in the kernel tree, so I can do those parts. But many of you can do the
| programming better than I can.

You can recommend them for inclusion, but the developer or maintainer
of them needs to either submit them or at least approve their
submission for inclusion.

| I can't afford new hardware right now, and I had to search the net for
| hours and maybe even days just to find these drivers, and almost gave up
| hope of being able to use GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I wouldn't want
| others to have to go through that or settle for mediocre drivers. If
| there are any takers out there, just send me an E-mail and I'll send you
| the drivers so you can hack away. But at the very least I'd like to
| know where I can find a detailed guild on how to convert kernel modules
| from 2.4 to 2.6.

How about posting their web locations (wherever you found them)
in case someone is interested..?

--
~Randy