Re: Linux-2.6.5-1.358 and Fedora

From: Aleksandar Milivojevic
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 15:21:00 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:46:18PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

If Richard overwrote his modules anyway he must have hacked the Makefile
himself to deliberately cause this, at which point... well saw wind
harvest storm ;)

While I lack specific Fedora knowledge and thus can't provide exact details for it I'd say it should still be pretty simple to recover. On Slackware I'd simply boot a kernel from the install CD and tell it to mount the installed system on my HD, then you'll have a running system and can easily clean out the broken modules etc and install the original ones from your CD and be right back where you started in 5 min. Surely something similar is possible with Fedora, reinstalling from scratch (as he said he did) seems like massive overkill to me.

yeah there is rescue mode for that reason on the first cd

Actually, FC2 has an CD called rescue CD. All he needed to do (if he toasted his working kernel) was to boot from it, and reinstall the kernel package from the first CD (rpm -Uhv --force kernel-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm or i586, force is needed to push things a bit since system thinks the same version of package is already installed).

I'd be quite interested to find out how he managed to toast his working kernel. Not an easy task. Actaully it is, but requires some manual work, it can't be done by just typing make this, make that. There were some steps he "forgot" to mention ;-).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx> Pollard Banknote Limited
Systems Administrator 1499 Buffalo Place