/dev/misc/inotify 0.11

From: David Busby
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 11:55:45 EST

List,
I patched my 2.6.8.1 kernel with the inotify-0.11. There were some
sample utils that in C that came with it. Thanks. I've successfully
used those to work with inotify. Here's what's bad:

1> When I say `cat /dev/misc/inotify' my machine stops responding
instantly. I've not had a chance to see what happens. I know I'll not
normally say that but when I say something else dumb like cat
/dev/misc/rtc cat will simply wait, not choke up my whole system.

2> Reading from /dev/misc/inotify with PERL produces the same effect.

I don't know enough about kernel hacking to really debug this really
well. I peeked at the code and there still seems to be calls to dnotify
functions, can't I remove those? I said this in
drivers/char/inotify.c(54) static int inotify_debug_flags =
INOTIFY_DEBUG_ALL; so I'll recompile and see what happens.

David Busby
Edoceo, Inc.
http://www.edoceo.com/

Linux version 2.6.8.1 (root@busby-devel) (gcc version 3.2.2) #1 Mon Oct