Re: mmap() on cdrom files fails since 2.6.9-rc2-bk2

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 07:36:46 EST

> > Now I'm only curious as to why the problem only affected me. Since
> > it looks like noexec is implied on cdrom devices, the problem should
> > have affected everyone. Or are the "!pt_gnu_stack binaries"
> > something rare? I admit I have no idea what it refers to.
>
> it means you are running an older distro which was built with a gcc
> that doesnt generate PT_GNU_STACK signatures in binaries yet. On the
> biggest distros the transition to PT_GNU_STACK binaries coincided with
> the transition to a 2.6 kernel, so only people who run newer kernels
> on older distros are affected, which is relatively rare since most
> 'older distros' are not 2.6-ready in a number of system-support areas.

OK, I understand now. Both affected systems are running Slackware 9.1,
which may be a bit old (October 2003), but 2.6-ready, so I am using
bleeding edge 2.6 kernels, with no problems (well until a few days ago
;))

> (although the kernel itself of course must be able to run old code
> too.)

Well, I didn't enable any special option as far as I can remember, and
it works just fine :)

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare