Re: mmap() on cdrom files fails in 2.6.9-rc2-mmX

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 11:48:52 EST

> Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I think I found a bug in 2.6.9-rc2-mm4. It doesn't seem to be able
> > to mmap() files located on cdroms. Same problem with -mm3 and -mm1.
> > 2.6.9-rc2 works fine. I reproduced it on two completely different
> > systems, so I guess it isn't device dependant.
> >

> So I tried your .config

> > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
>
> hm. You're not using an IDE CDROM?
>
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
>
> but you are using a SCSI CDROM, correct?

Correct, on my desktop system. However, I have a laptop with an IDE
CDROM, and am able to reproduce the problem there with 2.6.9-rc2-mm1.

> I tried your test app on both IDE CD with my .config and on SCSI CD
> with your .config. Works fine.

Mmm, that's odd. There is next to nothing in common between my two
systems (desktop is AMD-based with VIA chipset and SYM/NCR SCSI adapter,
laptop is Intel-based with Intel chipset). Oh, the only common point I
can think of is the underlying Linux distro, namely up-to-date Slackware
9.1.

Being admittedly lost, I decided to do the only thing I could...
Starting from 2.6.9-rc2-bk1, I incrementally applied all changesets from
bk1 to bk2 as found on linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5, and test each
time. I wasted quite a few hours on this, but not in vain. The changeset
triggering the problem is this one:

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@xxxxxx

It looks totally unrelated. As to why it causes a problem to only me,
don't ask, I have no idea.

Does it help?

Thanks.

--