Reading ati_remote keypresses in userland

From: Tony Howat
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 08:59:45 EST

I have an ati_ remote, and the ati_remote module loaded, the 2.2.0 version
with kernel version 2.6.5-1. It works in that I can see data
on /dev/input/mice when I use the mouse type controls on the remote. However
I need to use the keyboardish buttons to control my application.

Having read round it seemed the /dev/input/event devices would be the key. I
put together some code to find the right event device and dump the output
from a linux journal article :

The device on /dev/input/event0 says its name is PS/2 Generic Mouse
The device on /dev/input/event1 says its name is AT Translated Set 2
keyboard
The device on /dev/input/event2 says its name is X10 Wireless Technology Inc
USB Receiver
evdev driver version is 1.0.0

...but there's no output turning up when I read from the file descriptor.
However, running the module in debug mode does give meaningful output to
/var/log/messages :

Sep 28 18:27:44 marmot last message repeated 10 times
Sep 28 18:27:50 marmot kernel: ati_remote 1-2:1.0: channel 0x0f; data d4,0f;
index 16; keycode 4
Sep 28 18:27:51 marmot last message repeated 10 times
Sep 28 18:27:52 marmot kernel: ati_remote 1-2:1.0: channel 0x0f; data dc,17;
index 23; keycode 11
Sep 28 18:27:54 marmot last message repeated 14 times
Sep 28 18:28:19 marmot kernel: ati_remote 1-2:1.0: channel 0x0f; data c8,03;
index 33; keycode 148

I'm a bit confused. Which device should I be looking at for these
keypresses? Am I missing something?

My test code is at http://www.i-r-genius.com/remoteend.c

Could anyone confirm exactly which device these keypresses should turn up on
and the method for reading them?

Thanks for any help.

The aim of this project is to provide a simple control for music player
daemon (http://www.musicpd.org/) without the need for X. I will, of course,
release the code when done.

--
Tony