Re: nforce2 bugs?

From: Jesse Allen
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 21:15:09 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-09-29 at 23:42, white phoenix wrote:
> > [x86] fix lockups with APIC support on nForce2
>
> Looks reasonable (anyone from Nvidia care to ack any of these)
>
> > Add PCI quirk to disable Halt Disconnect and Stop Grant Disconnect
> > (based on athcool program by Osamu Kayasono).
>
> Is this always safe - if not why does the BIOS not do it.

An older Nvidia reference BIOS has a bug. Nvidia provided this information on
it:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108362246902784&w=2

A more appropriate patch was merged. It was similar to this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108362608309197&w=2

So disconnect lockups should not happen anymore. He may be hitting a rarer
nforce2 bug.

For me, an issue with noise on the timer remains.

Ross Dickson wrote:
> A couple of Skewing Mobos Involved:
> Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard.
> A7N8X Deluxe mobo/Athlon

Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1

I have not tried the newest BIOS release. I have the one that fixes
disconnect timings.

> Maybe they are using the same revision of non GPU nforce2 silicon?
> I personally never had any clock skew but I have only used Mobos with
> graphics onboard, several Albatron KM18G and an Epox 8RGA+

Well, my motherboard has no integrated GPU as well.

Andy Currid wrote:
> In systems running in IOAPIC mode where this problem has been observed, is
> ACPI enabled?

I have ACPI enabled. I don't explicitly set acpi_skip_timer_override.

Jesse

bash-3.00$ cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 16741454 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 9300 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 324750 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
14: 12284 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 11 IO-APIC-edge ide1
16: 92 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
17: 6156 IO-APIC-level CMI8738
19: 290981 IO-APIC-level radeon@pci:0000:03:00.0
20: 2 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd
21: 0 IO-APIC-level NVidia nForce2, ohci_hcd
22: 1925390 IO-APIC-level eth0, ohci_hcd
NMI: 0
LOC: 16698953
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

shortened dmesg follows:

DMI 2.2 present.
Shuttle AN35N detected: BIOS IRQ0 pin2 override will be ignored
ACPI: RSDP (v000 Nvidia ) @ 0x000f6f70
ACPI: RSDT (v001 Nvidia AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x0fff3000
ACPI: FADT (v001 Nvidia AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x0fff3040
ACPI: MADT (v001 Nvidia AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x0fff7880
ACPI: DSDT (v001 NVIDIA AWRDACPI 0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000e) @ 0x00000000
ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x00] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
Processor #0 6:10 APIC version 16
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x00] high edge lint[0x1])
ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x02] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 2, version 17, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
ACPI: BIOS IRQ0 pin2 override ignored.
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 14 global_irq 14 high edge)
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 15 global_irq 15 high edge)
ACPI: IRQ9 used by override.
ACPI: IRQ14 used by override.
ACPI: IRQ15 used by override.
Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 1 I/O APICs
Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=301

(cut)

ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=0 pin2=-1