Re: Plzzz help me

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 15:46:48 EST

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:11:18 PDT, Ryan Cumming said:

> By definition, only hosts have IP addresses. Any router that has an IP address
> is also a host.

Very true - if it's a L3 router, it needs that IP address so you have something
to use as a 'next hop' when you try to send to it. If it doesn't have an IP
address, it's a L2 switch/hub and you pretty much *don't* want to talk to it
at all (except to an IP set up as a "management" address, but then you're
talking to it as a host, of course)...

I *think* cranium2003 wanted to do different things depending on whether
the 'next hop addr == dest addr', but I'm failing to see any cases where
you'd want to do that....