Re: Loops in the Signed-off-by process

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 14:47:51 EST

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Dave Hansen wrote:

> Or, does it even really matter?

I don't think it matters that much, although I personally prefer to see
the person who sent it to me ("touched it last") be last in the list.
That's partly because of the fact that especially with bigger merges (ie
with Andrew), I just do a search-and-replace, and replace any "signed off
by sender" with "signed off by sender and me".

At the same time, I think it's pretty unnecessary (and possibly confusing)
to have somebody mentioned twice, so I'd actually prefer to see people
just move their (previous) sign-off to be last when they send it on.

Side note: I also like seeing "Acked-by:" or "Cc:" things just above the
sign-off lines, because it ends up being useful if there are any technical
issues with the patch - if a bug is found, it's very convenient to just
take all the sign-off people _and_ the other "involved" people and send
off a query to them all. Even if that "Acked-by:" has no other meaning
than as a mention of the fact that somebody else was involved in
discussions, even if they may not have been involved in actually writing
or passing off the ptch.

Linus