Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 00:52:49 EST

On Thursday 30 September 2004 07:31 pm, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:22:11 +0000 J.A. Magallon wrote:
>
> | mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> | input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
> | input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
> |
> | If not, how can I change the protocol ? A kernel bootparam ?
> | In old X, i used 'Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"'.
>
> From Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:
>
> psmouse.proto= [HW,MOUSE] Highest PS2 mouse protocol extension to
> probe for (bare|imps|exps).
>
> so for builtin mouse driver (not a loadable module), use:
> psmouse.proto=bare|imps|exps
>
> However, it read/sounds like the protocol is probed/detected.
> Moreover, it also sounds like MouseManPlusPS/2 isn't listed/supported.
> The known protocols according to psmouse-base.c are:
>
> static char *psmouse_protocols[] = {
> "None", "PS/2", "PS2++", "PS2T++", "GenPS/2", "ImPS/2", "ImExPS/2", "SynPS/2"};
>
> I guess that you can test: psmouse.proto=bare
> or each listed option to see what helps.

As far as userspace and 2.6. goes the "only true protocol" that you should
use when getting data from /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouseX is
ExplorerPS/2. That's because kernel translates events from input devices
into cooked PS/2 protocol and an application can request either bare PS/2,
IMPS/2 or ExplorerPS/2 flavor regardless of what kind of device is behind
/dev/input/mice

Mouseman is not supported as far as userspace goes. If you need more than 5
buttons look for "evdev" patches for X.

--
Dmitry