Re: ArcNet and 2.6.8.1

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 16:56:07 EST

ArcNet can't compete with ethernet as LAN: It can only run 10 Mbit whereas
100 Mbit ethernet can run roughly 50 Mbit in practice.

But ArcNet doesn't degrade in performance when you try to fill it up as
ethernet does. Thus ArcNet is very good for real-time applications - and
is used for such in the industry. But that is not an area where people
usually use Linux.

But don't worry, the windoze drivers aren't good either. The official
driver for the PCMCIA card crashed Windows XP - with no chance of fixing
them as I have with the Linux one :-)

Esben