RE: The ultimate TOE design

From: Leonid Grossman
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 23:50:50 EST

> > It's a bit painful to setup, but in general with 9k jumbos
> and TSO we
> > were able to get close to pci-x 133 limit - both in LAN and
> WAN tests.
> > Leonid
>
> Cool, but a very specific environment, no? ;)

Define specific environment :-). We are running common tcp benchmarks like
nttcp or iperf or Chariot or filesystem applications on a very generic white
boxes, with generic OS/settings.

> What concerns me about all this is that it seems so very
> host-centric design. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a little
> bit more network-centric worldview when designing network
> infrastructure?
>
> It isn't just a matter of how had we can push stuff out, it
> also matters how much the network can take.
> Blasting tens of gigs into the ether seems all very exciting
> sexy and cool, but suited for dedicated links or network
> attached storage channels, not general-purpose networking on
> the Internet or intra-nets.

This is somewhat different from IB or FC "miniature networks",
some/most of 10GbE testing runs in existing datacenters or over
existing long-haul links - see for example
http://sravot.home.cern.ch/sravot/Networking/10GbE/LSR_041504.htm

Cheers, Leonid