Re: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 17:23:54 EST

Jesper Juhl [Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:19:06PM +0200]:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Nico Schottelius wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:16:30 +0200
> > From: Nico Schottelius <nico-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: /sys: Network device status: link; Hard disks?
> >
> > Hello everybody!
> > Will /sys provide details about link status of network cards
> > and can I also find out what devices are harddisks?
> > Like having /sys/block/hda/type, which contains "cd-rom" or
> > "harddisk" or similar.
> > Or having something like /sys/class/net/eth0/link with 0/1 setting?
> > I know some or all information can be retrieved somehow differnt
> > (like using /proc), but shouldn't those be found in /sys?
> > Just some question on how we can use /sys useful.
> > Greetings,
> > Nico
> > PS: Please CC, I am not subscribed.
> >

> Hmm, sounds nice to me. I don't know if something like
> /sys/class/net/eth0/link as you describe it would be accepted, but I've
> been wanting to play with sysfs for a while and this sounds like a nice
> and resonably simple little project, I will take a shot at trying to
> implement that.

Perhaps there is a even a default method for network
device drivers to show their link status, but I don't know where
and having it in /sys seems senseful to me.

Anyway, is this the wrong list to ask questions about /sys or
where can I find information about what the sense of /sys is and
what it should and will contain?

Greetings,

Nico
--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.