Re: OOM & [OT] util-linux-2.12e

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 08:22:45 EST

DervishD wrote:

Hi Olaf :)

* Olaf Hering <olh@xxxxxxx> dixit:

then /etc/mtab can die. Comments? Better solutions?

Andries, /etc/mtab is obsolete since the day when /proc/self/mounts was
introduced. So, kill it today from your mount binary! TODAY. ...

Bad idea... ;))) I upgraded my 'mount' yesterday. I was using a
mount from Debian, from 1998 more or less, that worked flawlessly
except for the '--bind' feature and things like those. I used
/etc/mtab as a symlink to /proc/mounts, and all worked OK except for
the double root entry and the need to manually call losetup to delete
unused /dev/loop entries.

But after the upgrade I no longer could umount a filesystem that
I mounted as 'user', because the device is a symlink and the 'user'
option is not stored in /proc/mounts. So my problems were:

Using a mtab that is a link to /proc/mounts fails with quota too.
Quta tools read /etc/mtab looking for "usrquota" and or "grpquota"
mount options. These appear in a normal /etc/mtab but not in /proc/mounts,

so the tools gets the mistaken impression that no fs actually use quotas.

Helge Hafting