Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 13:46:39 EST

Hi,

I am fascinated about udev and others, but have some questions.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Greg KH wrote:
On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 05:53:05PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

What we currently see is that distros either ignore the race or (like
LFS) say something like:

I don't see distros ignoring the race issues. Look at Gentoo's init
scripts, it handles this properly (if not, please let me know.)

I have Gentoo with udev (with 100% modular kernel). And I have speedtouch USB ADSL modem. I am using paralell startup scripts feature. And speedtouch tries to initialize itself (load firmware and so on) before USB bus (or how to call it) is discovered. I can imagine moving firmware loader to udev.d scripts but where should I place pppd launching (for example I might have pppd or ifconfig binary on nfs mounted /usr from my LAN...).

I understand that for messages like "xxx was just plugged in" there is (masked) HAL and DBUS. But don't we need something where we can check if particular part of the system (not only device but also removable media or filesystem mount or some daemon) was initialized (or is currently plugged and initialized) or not? And we should be able to locate device file or mount point or controll socket of this part of the system... And don't we need some multi-event script launcher: "Launch this when xxx was plugged and initialized but not before yyy was initialized"? Gentoo has dependency-based startup scripts but dependiencies are resolved statically not dynamically... There should be also some inteligent way to shut down device _and_ all things that depend on it when device is unplugged and then reinitialize _everything_ when device is plugged back... Not only device itself as it is in udev.d. Script in udev.d should not know about services that depend on this device and services that depend on these services...

And how udev, hotlpug and the rest of the system should hadle SATA disk unpluggged in the middle of writing? And what if it will be plugged back?

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski