Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Jon Masters
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 11:54:39 EST

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:00:57 -0700, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:51:16PM +0200, Marc Ballarin wrote:

> > This sound complicated and requires changes in many places. Maybe there is
> > an easier solution.

> There is, just run your stuff off of /etc/dev.d/ and stop relying on a
> device node to be present after modprobe returns.

Indeed.

I don't see what is so far for distributions to overcome here - if you
want to avoid having two sets of alternative init scripts, why not
have a generic set of /etc/dev.d entries that are either called by
udev or if udev is not available run them in some predetermined order
on a static device tree. What's the hassle here? I can't see anything
world shattering.

Cheers,

Jon.