Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 09:27:56 EST

Marc Ballarin wrote:

If there is problem, it doesn't mean we just pass it over. Probably we need to solve it?

How do you want to solve it? We cannot look into the future, so how should
we know which device nodes "modprobe xyz" will or should create?
dev.d is a nice solution. If any device node is created, your script is
called. If it is the node you want, you perform your actions.

Well, can then anyone explain by which mean (black magic?) kernel mounts root file system? block device might appear any time, file system might take ages to load.

Hu? How is init/do_mounts.c still works then? Or it is needs to be fixed with messages a-la "root file system will be available shortly, we do hope" and "please plug in again your hard-wired IDE drive"?

People, you must learn doing abstractions carefully. If device is hard-wired - user *will* expect (as kernel itself does) that it is available all the time after modprobe'ing driver.