2.6.9-rc1 : Weirdness after shutdown - ACPI or Suspend bug?

From: Stuart Young
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 05:23:45 EST

OK, this one is weirding me out.

Note that when using 2.6.8.1 all is fine. The following situation only happens
in 2.6.9-rc1 or later.

If I shutdown my laptop (ie: halt) it goes through the motions and everything
goes off. If the lid switch changes state AFTER powerdown, the laptop starts
up. Removing AC power, or with AC power connected and removing the battery
does not trigger this, just seemingly the lid switch. This works on lid close,
AND lid open.

I noticed it and thought my laptop was dying, and consequently made sure I
shut the lid before the machine actually powered off, and didn't correlate it
to 2.6.9-rc1. But when I was trying to compile 2.6.9-rc1-mm2 I had some
other issues (general weirdness), and decided to boot back to 2.6.8.1 in case
2.6.9-rc1 was at fault. When I shut down I noticed it didn't have
this behaviour, and went and did a little reboot test at random between
2.6.9-rc1 & 2.6.8.1 that showed this as consistent behaviour.

Note that once the laptop restarts, if I shut it down using the power switch
at the lilo prompt, the machine stays off, regardless of the lid switch
state.

Any ideas or suggestions? Going to start going back thru csets when I get a
chance if no one has an ideas.

--
Stuart Young (aka Cef)
cef-lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is for LKML and related email only