Re: reiser4 semantics / BeFS Architect(s) Query Resolution

From: Will Dyson
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 21:24:16 EST

Burnes, James wrote:
(comments below)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Reiser [mailto:reiser@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 3:55 AM
To: Will Dyson
Cc: Andrew Morton; hch@xxxxxx; linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-
kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; flx@xxxxxxxxxxx; torvalds@xxxxxxxx; reiserfs-
list@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: silent semantic changes with reiser4

I think there are two ways to analyze the code boundary issue. One is
"does it belong in the kernel?" Another is, "does it belong in the
filesystem. and if so should name resolution in a filesystem be split
into two parts, one in kernel, and one in user space." In ten years I
might have the knowledge needed to make such a split, but I know for
sure that I don't know how to do it today without regretting it
tomorrow, and I don't really have confidence that I will ever be able
to do it without losing performance.

Glad that BeFS finds the new model better.:)

(glad that BeFS supposedly solved it)

Solved what, exactly? I'm already having a hard time understanding what Hans is talking about.

BTW: I get paid during the day to do security engineering work.
Wouldn't parsing the query in the kernel make the kernel susceptible to
buffer overflows? Bad place to have an overflow.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman