Re: reverse engineering pwcx

From: dulle
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 15:26:51 EST

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Albert Cahalan wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 03:42, Paul Jakma wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Helge Hafting wrote:

There's no need for faith or speculation here.
Put the chip under a microscope and count the pixels,
or rather measure their size and estimate their number.

The lavarnd guy did and counted 160x120:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=119578&cid=10091208

Unless he explains a bit better, there's no reason
to assume he counted correctly. There may be a larger
pattern that was counted by mistake. For example,
there may be 160x120 red-sensing sub-pixels. He could
have counted only that.

Also, there is more than one type of sensor that can
be fitted to these webcam chips. They may vary.

Yes, some have cmos, some have CCDs.

Beside, I am a bit puzzled by the credit that has been
given to that slashdot comment, when a simple search on
"ccd chip logitech 3000 pro" provides a link on the
description of the CCD chip inside that cam in a few
clicks :

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_tec/ccd/icx098.html

2 more clicks on Sony's site give acces to the
datasheets of the different versions of the icx098
(color or b/w).

And that was the hard way: if you search "ccd chip
philips webcam" you have the reference on the result
page and access to the specs on the first site returned.

http://www.astrosurf.com/benschop/APEquipment.htm

Did I mention icx098 is a 640x480 CCD chip, whatever the
version ?

-- François Meyer
http://dulle.free.fr/alidade/galerie.php?maxim=12