Re: Problem accessing Sandisk CompactFlash Cards (Connected to the IDE bus)

From: Marc Strämke
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:35:04 EST

Neil Horman wrote:
<snip<

1) older SanDisk cards are detected as CFA devices and are working, but not bootable.

2) newer SanDisk cards are detected as ATA disks, and are bootable as such, but do not seem to be operating correctly (the aforementioned ide errors).

Is this correct?

Not fully, actually both are bootable, but the second one gets read/write errors after booting, and when accessed after booting from another boot device (NFS)

for the other points, actually both cards are used in the same adapter hardware. I can switch both cards in ONE system, and the error only appears with the newer card.

I found some other subtlety, in the dmesg of the nonworking card there is a message:

hdb: C/H/S=0/0/0 from BIOS ignored

which doesnt appear with the working card, so the card is already treated differently by the bios, or the different information from the bios somehow interfers with hardware probing? (just speculating on this point)
I will do some more tests and tell you what i find out.