From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 14:59:48 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:

Realize that openat() works independently of any special streams, it's
fundamentally a "look up name starting from this file" (rather than
"starting from root" or "starting from cwd").

well, isn't that namespace fragmentation by definition?

No.

There's no difference between

fd = open("/usr/bin/yes", O_RDWR);

and

dirfd = open("/usr/bin", O_RDONLY | O_DIRECTORY);
fd = openat(dirfd, "yes", O_RDWR);

The difference is that cat uses open() not openat().

With your model, can I do:

cat filenameA/metas/permissions > filenameB/metas/permissions

find / -exec cat {}/permissions \; | grep 4777 | wc -l

If yes, then we are talking past each other somehow rather than disagreeing. If metafiles can be opened with both open and openat() in your model, then we are discussing some small detail.

I think the answer is no though, in which case you are missing the point of the new design. Is the answer no?